”If you cannot travel, let the destination come to you”
Official studies and Chinese people both agree on one point: Paris has the best Chinese restaurants outside of China. And our cofounder Nikki Wang can confirm this. Still, for a very long time, the image of Chinese food in France has remained stuck to small Chinese traiteurs selling a mix of undermined Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and sometimes even Japanese recipes, greatly impairing the reputation of Chinese gastronomy.
At the same time, ‘real’ Chinese gastronomy is worldly recognized as as brilliant and important as French cuisine. And it was high time to introduce the real authentic Chinese tastes to foodies and a larger public alike!
In the recent 10 years, new generations of Chinese entrepreneurs and chefs have opened their places in Paris, or adapted the ones opened by their parents upon their arrival in France, offering us new horizons for our palates. In this tour Nikki will bring you to 5 restaurants from 5 regions that stand out and have won recognition from both Chinese and local foodies. She will show you the specificities of each region. More importantly, these new chefs pay great attention to ingredients and fair trade, and everything is homemade with love and pride. Their efforts are now giving back Chinese gastronomy the reputation it has always deserved.
In this tour we will taste from:
- Xi’an: as the former capital of the Empire and the starting point of the Silk Road, the city boasts a unique cuisine combining Chinese and subtle Middle-Eastern flavors;
- Shanghai: the largest city in China as well as the nation’s street food epicenter, with the ‘xiao long bao’ as a real masterpiece of hot savory broth;
- Sichuan: the province of 1,000 spices, often combined in one dish, for an incredible depth and complexity of flavor;
- Taiwan: where the tea culture, running from traditional tea ceremony to the now trendy bubble tea, mixes tradition and modern lifestyle in one essential drink;
- Hong Kong: where desserts –often served as warm, sweet soups– comes as a perfect ending to a full feast or even a quick dim sum meal. (Good news: the king of Hong Kong dessert has just opened a shop in Paris!)
Are you ready for this crazy tasting adventure? Please come as hungry as possible, because a lot of great food is waiting for you!
Highlights of your new favorite Food Tour:
– Discover Chinese Gastronomy directly with a Chinese person;
– Enjoy a variety of flavors far away from Western tastes;
– Travel through China with five surprising tasty cuisines;
– Walk around one of Paris’s most dynamic districts, revived by as many new restaurants;
TheWaysBeyond is a signatory to the Caring Attitude charter of the Paris Tourist Office.
In this sense, the guided walking tour “Pastry Food Tour in Le Marais” complies with current health and safety instructions, with the guide wearing a face mask and respecting physical distancing practices and other government-recommended preventive measures.
Participants are asked to please wear a mask and respect physical distancing practices when walking together on the tour.